GPII/Cloud4all partners are actively involved in different standardisation initiatives, as international standards are an important foundation for technological progress, interoperability and accessibility.
In general, our top-level goals are:
- Reuse existing standards and technologies (in particular by mainstream), wherever possible.
- Develop and validate new standards on GPII technologies, wherever necessary.
- Work towards harmonization, adoption and inclusion of the GPII standards in standardization, industry, research and governments.
Cloud4all has had an impact to date mainly on three key standards :
- ISO/IEC 24751 is being restructured significantly as a result of this work, converting from a regular standard into a Registry based standard.
- The W3C IndieUI has already begun using the Cloud4all common terms and will be using the Common Terms Registry. The Common Terms Registry is being developed as a joint effort of Cloud4all and the ISO/IEC SC35 Working Group. It would create Registry of Terms that can serve as a sort of “dictionary” of terms that can be used in creating metadata and Needs & Preferences statements. The objective is to reduce variation through the use of common terminology – thus enhancing interoperability.
- ISO/IEC 24752 is also undergoing revision led by one of the Cloud4all investigators with attention to Cloud4all/GPII compatibility being borne in mind. Standards that are currently closed but will likely benefit from Cloud4all work have been identified and are being tracked
A list of the main standards where GPII is involved is presented below.
- ISO/IEC JTC1 SC35 User Interfaces
- ISO/IEC JTC1 SC36 Information technology for learning, education and training
- openURC Alliance
- W3C Protocols and Formats Working Group
- W3C Independent User Interface (IndieUI) Working group
- The IEEE Actionable Data Book
- IMS Accessibility Metadata Working Group
- W3C Cognitive and Learning Disabilities Accessibility Task Force
- DIN NA 023-00-02 GA Accessibility
- DIN NA 023-00-04 GA Ergonomics for information processing systems
- DIN NA 023-00-04-09 AK Ergonomic aspects of AAL and assistive systems
- DIN NA 043-01-36 AA Learning Technologies
Cooperation and concertation activities
Collaboration on governmental regulatory agencies
- ANEC Working Group on Design for All
- European Multistakeholder Platform on ICT Standardisation
- ERPB Working Group on Mobile and Card Based Contactless Proximity Payments
- Disability rights promotion international
- Access for all Ontario